- Collection and use of information
- Information storage
- Information sharing and disclosure
- Security and prevention against loss, misuse or alteration of information
- Your ability to edit and cancel your account
- Contact details
If you do not register as a Member of mylibrary, the information we collect from you is limited. Our server may store your personal information so that placing future orders will be quicker and easier. Further, we log your IP address in order to help diagnose problems with our servers, administer this Website and track usage statistics. Your IP address may vary each time you visit, or it may be the same, depending on the type of internet connection. If you reach this Website by clicking on a link or advertisement on another website, then we also log that information. Any and all information collected by us from the Website may be used by us at our sole and absolute discretion to create database or enter into our database, where we can use it to generate reports on our visitors, but not reports about individual visitors. These reports are for our use and shall not be shared with you.
If you choose to register as a Member of mylibrary, you will be able to take advantage of all of the features of this Website.
mylibrary collects some or all of the personally identifiable information set out below when you register as a Member of mylibrary, when you access and use this Website and/or when you use mylibrary's products and/or services. The information we collect will vary depending on the circumstances, e.g., if you use one of our library services packages or download content from/via mylibrary, we will collect most of this information. If you simply use some of our services (such as writing a review or entering a competition) we may only collect more limited information.
What we collect
- Full name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Mobile telephone number
- Payment Card type
- Payment Card number
- Payment Card expiry date
- Date of Birth
- Information about Books/DVDs you have borrowed or would like to borrow
- Information about content you have accesses/ downloaded or would like to access/download
- Your Book/DVD ratings
- User Material you submit (e.g., Content reviews, user collections, quiz and other user submissions)
- Information you submit for your User Profile
How we use it
- To check that a payment card is valid
- To pay your account
- To send you Books/ DVDs you would like to borrow or content you would like to download
- To recommend other Books/ DVDs you may like to borrow or content you would like to download
- To communicate with you regarding your Membership, account or purchase of mylibrary's products or services
- To provide you with order and billing history information
- To establish usage trends in order to recommend other Books/DVDs you may like to borrow or Content you may like to download
- To contact you about the products and/or services on this Website in which you have expressed an interest
- To display your User Profile to others users of this Website (in accordance with your security settings)
- To email you offers, news, information, promotional announcements and consumer surveys
- To send you samples of, or marketing materials relating to, third party products or services which we believe may be of interest to you. Such materials may accompany the books or discs you have selected to borrow, or may be sent by us separately. Please note that at no time is it necessary for us to provide your personally identifiable information to third parties in order to send you these materials
To improve services and enhance personalization, we may periodically obtain information about you from other third party sources either through surveys or otherwise from whom we have lawfully obtained certain data about you and add it to your registration information. Additionally, authorized British Council Division personnel including officers, representatives or nominees by whatever name called, may update your registration information to accurately reflect any new information included in any communications received from you.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers that are protected in secure facilities including firewall protection.
British Council Division stores a cookie on your computer containing a unique ID so that you do not need to retype information every time you visit this Website. This expires 14 days after the last time you use this Website.
More detailed information on cookies can generally be found in the "help" (or similar) section of your Internet web browser.
- Where British Council Division is required by law to disclose information to third parties;
- Where the disclosure is necessary for the performance of our operations (eg. Courier services, hosting services, protecting us from fraud, and payment of your account);
We also may share your personal information with third parties including but not limited to agencies, companies or contractors, logistics companies and call centers to perform services necessary for our operations., in which case we will require those parties to keep that information confidential and secure and to use it solely for the purpose of providing the specified services to us. In course of providing services, these logistics companies may have contact with your personal identification. We will not be liable for any damages that may result from the misuse of your personal information by these companies. From time to time, we may partner with companies whose products we believe will interest our Members.
Companies and individuals registered with the British Council Division may receive information about customers that they direct to British Council Division through hyperlinks on their websites. No personally identifiable information is provided to affiliate members; the information collected from our affiliates is used strictly by us and will not be used for general marketing purposes.
British Council Division also provides analyses of our customers in the aggregate to prospective partners, advertisers, movie distributors, publishers and other third parties. We do this so that we and our business partners can understand you better, and so we can keep bringing you first-rate services. We may also disclose, on an anonymous basis, literal statements made by our customers. At no time, however, will we disclose personal information about specific customers. Members should check for updates to this policy from time to time.
British Council Division has implemented technology and security features, as well as strict internal guidelines, to safeguard the privacy of your personal information from unauthorized access or improper use. We will continue to enhance our security procedures as new technology becomes available.
For transmitting your personal information to us, we use a secure server with SSL certificate from Verisign which encrypts all of your personal information. This encryption process ensures that the information you give us is protected against unauthorized use.
While we make every effort to ensure that your information is secure on our system, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Your mylibrary account information is password-protected for your privacy and security. You can play an important role in keeping your personal information secure by maintaining the confidentiality of your password used on the mylibrary website. We recommend that you change your password from time to time for additional security. Please advise us immediately if there is any unauthorised use of your account by any other internet user or any other breach of security.
Access authorisation is granted only to British Council Division staff and officers and to our agents or subcontractors if necessary for the performance of our operations or for them to provide services to us. Any information accessed by those agents or subcontractors is required to be kept confidential and secure and is not permitted to be used for any purpose except to provide their services to us.
Backups are run to prevent loss of information, and our internet servers are housed in secure facilities.
If you decide to cancel your mylibrary subscription, your account will be deactivated once we have received back all the books and/or discs that you have borrowed. However we may retain your information for business, operational and administrative purposes and in accordance with applicable Indian laws.
British Council Division
British Deputy High Commission
901, 9th Floor, Tower 1,
One Indiabulls Centre,
841, Senapati Bapat Marg
Elphinstone Road (West)
Mumbai 400 013